Full-Time Telecommunicator Job Description
WESCOM is seeking top candidates who can provide quality service in a busy 9-1-1 center.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Answers incoming emergency and routine assistance calls.
- Independently assesses need and urgency of requests and situations and dispatches emergency response personnel including law enforcement personnel, firefighters, emergency medical personnel and others to incident/accident scenes.
- Receives and accurately relays/transcribes information, messages and requests for the Communications Center.
- Enters data and information into WESCOM and State computer databases.
- Operates radio and telecommunication systems including computer aided dispatching equipment (CAD), telephone device for the deaf (TDD/TTY), fax machines, and telephones.
- Maintains knowledge of current communication policies and procedures and state, national and local dispatch standards.
- Participates in on-going training.
- Answers telephone requests for information, performs emergency warning notifications, performs clerical and general office functions, provides court testimony as required.
- Monitors bank, business, and residential alarms, and notifies appropriate person/agency as required
- Operates LEADS system: enters stolen vehicles/items, missing persons and other information, maintains logs, records and files as required.
- The current salary range for this position is $41,808.00 to $71,780.80 annually with overtime opportunities available.
- Salary is based on the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Applicants with previous Telecommunicator experience may be eligible for higher compensation once training is completed.
- BlueCross BlueShield PPO or HMO healthcare insurance effective upon hire
- Vision and Dental insurance effective upon hire
- Up to $75,000 life insurance policy sponsored by WESCOM
- Participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension
- 457b Retirement Plan (no WESCOM match)
- AFLAC supplemental insurance (no WESCOM match)
- High School Diploma or equivalent and must successfully complete general knowledge written test, grammar test, and listening tests.
- Must be 20 years of age at time of application.
- Successfully and accurately pass a typing test at 35 words per minute with a working knowledge of computers.
- Prior public safety dispatching experience desirable.
- Bilingual skills desirable.
- Obtain LEADS certification within one year of employment and annually maintain LEADS certification.
- Obtain CPR and Emergency Medical Dispatch certifications within one year of employment and maintain CPR and EMD certifications.
- No felony convictions, and submit to a criminal history check.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Communicate effectively with the general public, co-workers, and emergency service agencies both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to responsibly and independently apply situational reasoning ability by exercising judgment, decisiveness and creativity in emergency situations involving a variety of pre-defined duties subject to frequent change.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Receive and process constructive criticism in a professional manner.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
Applications are currently being accepted to be kept on file for the next new hire orientation. There is currently no orientation scheduled for the foreseeable future, however, the Executive Assistant will contact you when the next opportunity for a new hire orientation comes up.
- Download and complete the application.
- Complete the Typing Competency Test (see below for information regarding the Typing Competency Test)
- Return the completed application along with the following:
- A COPY of your high school diploma or equivalent (we do not accept originals)
- A COPY of your government issued photo ID (we do not accept originals)
- Your typing competency test results from THE RESERVES
Applications and required documents must be submitted to WESCOM, 24600 W Presidential Ave, Plainfield, IL 60544
TYPING COMPETENCY TEST
- All typing tests must be completed at The Reserves, 301 Vertin Blvd, Shorewood, IL. WESCOM does not accept any other typing tests.
- Call (815) 556-8275 for an appointment.
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee for the typing test.
- Your typing test results must be submitted with your application.
MANDATORY – YOU MUST ATTEND THE ORIENTATION SESSION
- Selected candidates will be notified of the date and time of the orientation (approximately 1 week prior to the orientation date).
- You must arrive on time for the orientation. No late arrivals will be permitted to enter and will be asked to leave.
- Candidates will be notified via email prior to the orientation to confirm their attendance.
- Orientations are held at WESCOM. Social distancing will be practiced, and masks are mandatory.
- Candidates must bring a government issued photo ID such as a valid drivers license to enter the session.
- Should the candidate choose to move forward in the hiring process, a test will be administered immediately following the orientation.
Top qualifying candidates may be invited for further testing and interviews. Testing will include a pre-employment polygraph and pre-employment psychological exam at WESCOM’s expense. Final selection is contingent upon a background check and pre-employment physical which includes drug testing. WESCOM reserves the right to change this process at any time.
If you need further information regarding this career opportunity, please contact WESCOM at (815) 267-8300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.